Friday, November 20, 2009

The Making of a Traditional

When I was little my Granny used to make homemade noodles every year for Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas dinner. When I got old enough, she taught me how to make them, and I have carried on the tradition. They are very easy to make and really quite yummy so I don't mind. Besides, I just know that if I skip making them my nose will fall off. And, truth be told, I am a sucker for traditions.

When my Granddaughters got old enough to hold a rolling pin, I started teaching them how to roll the noodles out. They are now 7 and 9 and have literally helped since they were each old enough to stand in a chair and roll. Next year, we start learning how to make the dough. But, I digress.....

Their Mother has learned to make them as well and does a very good job for the Christmas dinner. I still do them for Thanksgiving, and the girls make a special visit just to make the noodles. As we were rolling them out this year, the girls started talking about how they were making a traditional....My "Granny" taught me to make them. Their "Granny" is teaching them to make them and, to keep the traditional going, how they will teach their grandkids.

That's a long way off and times change. I don't know if they will. I do know that the memories of time spent with their whole family is the real traditional and that they will pass on.

P.S. I get really sappy this time of the year.



If you look carefully, you can see that she has finished rolling out her noodles and is now studying the properties of flour.


She has not started rolling hers yet. She's working up her mojo.

1 comment:

  1. why dont you have a Become a follwer on your blog? I love your blog and sure everyone else would to.
    Lindacrew4 MTC forum

    ReplyDelete