Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Work in Progress

I'm still playing with the Spectrum Noir markers.

The trend for marker coloring in the craft world, as I see it, leans more to stylistic florals or cutesy animals and figures oftentimes with huge eyes...Manga style. They are cute and I certainly have a place for them in my crafting. In fact, I purchased a book on how to draw them. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. If I was selling my stuff, that would be top priority on my list. Cute sells.

But, I'm not!

Those that know me well, know that I love chickens. So, what better subject for me to draw and color than a rooster.
I began with a line drawing created in a vector drawing program. I use Xara. I started using it years ago so that I could draw line drawings that could be scaled easily and printed without jagged lines. I wrote "how to paint" pattern packets for the hobby ceramic industry. Who wants to purchase patterns with jagged lines?

I exported the line drawing to a format that is compatible with Make-the-Cut, my preferred software for my Blackcat Cougar. Did I mention that I was going to cut this out? I am. I am just not too sure what I am going to do with it after that. Thus the "work in progress".



I printed the drawing from Make-the-Cut onto cardstock that is optimal for marker drawing.
The inside detail lines are very faint because I did not want them to show through the markers. I also digitally painted the eye because I did not want to deal with something that small. The darker outside edge is just to demonstrate where the cutter will cut the design.

I colored it with the markers.
All I have to do is put it in my Blackcat Cougar, line up the registration marks, and cut it out. Can you see where I colored outside the lines and put little dots in areas that I didn't want to color? I don't have to worry about that because that will all be cut away. How cool is that?


I did some very minor detailing with a Razor Point II Pilot pen and splattered his chest with some thinned down acrylic paint and a toothbrush.
Now to decide what to do with him. I'm tempted to re-work the line drawing a little and color him again, but he'll do for now.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:13 AM CST

    Great coloring job Elsa. Look forward to hearing what you decide to do with him. I need to break out my markers and other tools and do some coloring as well. MeFlick (Melanie)

    ReplyDelete