Monday, June 20, 2011

I Called It Quits

I enjoyed the last ATC card exchange that I participated in so much, I decided to do another one. That was my first one and I kept my card pretty simple. I tend towards the large and minimal anyway and am having a little difficulty with small, more heavily embellished designs. When I received my cards from the first exchange, I was absolutely amazed at the amount of stuff these ladies were able to put on one 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" card. And, they looked great!!!

I thought I would give it a shot this time around. There were two themes for this one...The Year You Were Born...and Where You Are From. We had to do 14 of each. One of mine is embellished more than the other, but they both involved many very small cuts. My Black Cat Cougar did not let me down.

The Year I Was Born:
In real life terms, the ribbon in the girl's hair is 1/8".
The bikini was cut using a technique called contour cutting or Print and Cut.
You print the design on your printer, put the print-out into your cutter and the cutter cuts around it for you. No scissors involved.
The bikini bottom is approx. 1/4" high, and the top approx 1/3" high, including the straps.
I so wanted the "bottom" of the bikini to wiggle. I was able to make a spring thing, but it was all just too small to wiggle.

This is the back of the card.

Where I Was Born:

This one sorta speaks for itself.
The bottom of the boot was a print and cut. I made some snake skin texture in Photoshop to fill it with. The top was cut from some paper that looks like leather. The spur is not even 1/4" wide. At this magnification, it looks like I need to straighten the spokes.
The hat was cut from some fuzzy paper. By the time I finished cutting a number of very small pieces from it, I was flossing fuzz out of my teeth, but I love the paper and would do it again.
The longhorn has burnt orange glitter applied to it. Something else that I have some difficulty with. That burnt orange is really beautiful, but, man, it gets everywhere. I have other things that I plan to do with it, though. Things that won't be so messy.
The barbed wire is actually rusted, and the Alamo was done from a picture that I took.
I could have done a lot more. I wanted to, but working with that many small pieces over 28 cards gets time consuming so I just had to call it quits.

This is the back of the card.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my I'm so impressed!! I really need to start working on mine now!! These are fantastic. Can't wait to receive mine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! they turned out great. I have never made one yet. Love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cards! I wish I was creative enough to do something like that!

    http://myscrappylife0.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete